Gulf Coast Environmental Systems has over two centuries of combined experience in the world of pollution control and waste to energy solutions. Founded by an engineer, this organization prides itself on the minds that we employ. With diverse educations and backgrounds, our vast technical team of environmental experts embody the GCES mindset of clean thinkingTM.
Cary Allen – Technical Director
- Education: Ohio University, Chemical Engineering
- Favorite Solution: “The regenerative thermal oxidizer – while it is not necessarily the most elegant solution, much like pushing a feather with a freight train, it is a proven technology that widely applied and has 95+% thermal energy recovery – minimizing fuel consumption and carbon footprint.”
- Cary Allen has experience in many roles within the industry, including as an Engineering Lead, Business Development, Project Management, and Applications Engineering. His career in pollution control spans nearly three decades, and has allowed him to work on some of the largest and most innovative pollution control projects in the world. As Technical Director at GCES, Mr. Allen is tasked with product development, providing our application engineering team with technical support, and project oversight from conception to completion.
Jay Swoboda – General Manager
- Education: Texas A&M, Industrial Engineering
- Favorite Solution: “My favorite technology is the next one. It’s better than what we currently have and it solves problems we don’t know about yet.”
- Jay Swoboda has over thirty-years in the industry. His approach is hands on, and needless to say it works. He can regularly be found on the shop floor checking in on production and his team. He has decades of experience managing large projects, and has spent the time to build strong relationships with all of GCES’ long-term customers. A forever student, Mr. Swoboda is an integral part of our technical team’s continued professional development.
James Smith – Applications Engineer
- Education: McNeese State University, Mechanical Engineering
- Favorite Solution: “Anything new. That way I get to learn about different ideas, technologies, and processes.”
- James started his career with GCES fresh out of college, and has become an indispensable member of the team. His knowledge and understanding of the equipment and processes is astonishing, which makes him an expert in proposal writing and problem solving. As his favorite solution answer above proves, James is always looking ahead at the next exciting development in pollution control. Motorsports and music are James’ big passions. He is known as the musician in the office, playing trumpet, piano, and whipping out his karaoke skills at company parties.
Stephanie Maldonado – Applications Designer
- Education: Lone Star College-Montgomery, Mechanical Design Technology
- Favorite Solution: “Thermal Oxidizers. In most cases, they are the most reliable, usually require no further treatment and the ability to achieve high VOC destruction efficiencies.”
- Stephanie is a new addition to the applications team, and in her short time with GCES, she has fallen in love with pollution control equipment. She works closely with our engineers and technical team to help develop new proposals, as well as new technologies. Stephanie is currently pursuing her bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, and we expect to have her around for a long time. When she isn’t designing planet saving equipment, Stephanie enjoys playing guitar.
Charles Lu – Lead Project Engineer
- Education: Zheng Zhou University of Light Industry, Mechanical Engineering
- Favorite Solution: “Regenerative Catalytic Oxidizer with Electric Heater, the product is utilizing clean energy to clean the air.”
- Charles joined the GCES team nearly a decade ago as a member of our design team. Mr. Lu now serves as our Engineering Lead, working closely with the project management and manufacturing teams, ensuring all customer specifications are met, throughout the design and build of the project. He is passionate about the environment and his work, and this commitment has come through on a number of projects. Charles enjoys spending time in the great outdoors, hiking and paddle-boarding with his wife.
Vinny Feliciano – Designer
- Education: ITT Technical – Houston, Mechanical Designer
- Favorite Solution: “I don’t think I could pick just one!”
- Vinny is our clean-up guy. He is detail oriented, and an expert at making sure that our designs and drawings are neat, and absolutely perfect. He has been working as a designer in manufacturing for nearly three decades, and has been a valued asset to our projects team. Vinny played Division II basketball in college, and went on to become an NCAA referee.
Ronnie Patrick – Designer
- Education: New York University, Engineering Technology
- Favorite Solution: “RTO, Pollution Control Systems, Industrial Ovens and Thermal systems include adsorbers, scrubbers and filters… I like them all!”
- Ronnie has nearly two decades of pollution control equipment design experience. He spent time with GCES in the early years, and recently returned to our team. We are thrilled to welcome him back with his extensive knowledge of our products, and attention to detail. Ronnie is a true outdoorsman, enjoying time camping and hiking with his family.
Doug Rushing – Designer
- Education: Hands on experience
- Favorite Solution: “It would be all the GCES products and services. I believe we provide products that are helping our environment.”
- Doug has nearly two decades of experience as an electrical technician and structural designer in oil & gas. His passion for the environment brought him to GCES, and he has spent his time helping design products he whole-heartedly believes in. A Houston local, Doug enjoys fishing, car shows, and working on house projects with his family.
Steve Besier – Designer
- Education: Texas State Technical College, Mechanical Drafting and Design
- Favorite Solution: “I have not been here long enough to have a favorite, yet, but excited to be a part of a company involved in cleaning up our environment.”
- Steve joined GCES after spending over two decades in the energy and manufacturing sectors. He, like all of our designers, plays a huge role in the custom design of our solutions. When his nose is not stuck in a drawing, Steve is out on his land with his chickens, rabbits, tortoises, cats, and dogs… and maybe a donkey or two in the near future.
Mike Hornsby – Controls Engineer / PLC Programmer
- Education: Purdue University, Electronics and Electrical Engineering
- Favorite Solution: “Gulfstar! I have to love it, as a controls guy.”
- Starting his career in controls and PLC programming after a friend introduced him, Mike has worked in facilities across the globe, from Canada to Vietnam. He prides himself on staying up to date on any changes in the field, including NFPA updates. Mike has expressed an intense interest to expand GCES’ already impressive abilities when it comes to custom controls and has already taken on a leadership role in the panels shop. Mike is a self-proclaimed diesel guy and enjoys time on his motorcycle.